Sherry Jones Revealed
About Sherry Jones
What is your birthdate?:9/9
Previous occupations:Food server, receptionist, secretary, journalist
Favorite job:Besides writing novels? Newspaper reporting, especially covering politics, investigative reporting, and writing about nightlife
High school and/or college:South Lenoir High School in Deep Run, N.C.; The University of Montana
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Robert Spittal, the Washington State Composer of the Year and one of my closest friends. His music is innovative and beautiful.
Favorite movie:"Jean de Florette"
Favorite television show:I don't watch TV, but I've seen episodes of "The Office," "Archer," and "Black Adder" and find them hilarious. I have a soft spot for Rowan Atkinson.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. So many books to write, so little time!
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. "Love is a verb." Also, "You don't get what you don't ask for."
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Waking up every morning excited about the day. Going to sleep at night excited about the next day. In between: dancing.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Homelessness.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. In the presence of those I love.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. With every woman who has recognized that true power comes from within.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Oprah Winfrey, for her magnanimous support of women and authors. The Dalai Lama, for inspiring us all to lead compassionate lives.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. They differ from book to book! In "Four Sisters, All Queens," it was "clamor."
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. I regret the "down" time that I seem to need between books. I am so aware of the limited time that I have to write in this life, and have so many novels I want to write.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. I would be a much better pianist. I play classical piano but it's such a struggle. I love it, and would so love to feel at ease while making beautiful music.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Raising my 17-year-old daughter to be the amazing, powerful, kind-hearted young woman that she is. I did this while finishing my college degree, working part-time, and researching and writing my first novel.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Impulsivity.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Empathy.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. I would be myself, warts and all. :)
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My laughter. It's loud and audacious!
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Capitola in Eden Southworth's classic novel, "The Hidden Hand." Lily Barth in "House of Mirth." Morgaine in "The Mists of Avalon." Anna Karenina. A'isha in my first two books, "The Jewel of Medina" and "The Sword of Medina." And I have a special place in my heart for each of my four sister-queens!
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Blanche, the "White Queen," in "Four Sisters, All Queens." The Red Queen in "Alice in Wonderland," especially as rendered by Helena Bonham Carter. Shylock in "The Merchant of Venice."
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I would love to meet Jesus and ask him what he thinks of universal health care.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Selfishness, and a lack of compassion for others. But I have grammatical pet peeves, too, lots of them! "Comprised of." Using adverbs improperly. "Like" when "such as" or "as if" is correct. Failing to use the subjunctive tense when it is appropriate -- as in, "Dance like no one is watching." Yikes!
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Journalism. I love to challenge authority. Me and my big mouth!!!!
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. I'm doing it, right now, writing novels and selling them all over the world.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Compassion. Integrity. Humor.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Lobster!
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. "Stars Fell on Alabama," "Mann ke Manjere," "Beirut" by Fairuz, "Mustang Sally," and, for karaoke purposes, "Mack the Knife."
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Eudora Welty, Rose Tremain, Edith Wharton, Salman Rushdie, Nicole Krauss, Ellen Gilchrist, Anne Tyler, Ann Patchett, Jane Austen, Leo Tolstoy, Anton Chekhov, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Alice Hoffman, Jane Smiley, Isabelle Allende, Barbara Kingsolver, Joyce Carol Oates, Louise Erdrich, Debra Magpie Earling
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. 1. Wolf Hall
2. Little Women
3. The Hidden Hand or, Capitola the Madcap by Eden Southworth
4. Anna Karenina
5a. Pride and Prejudice
5b. House of Mirth
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. All the books I've listed as my favorite above.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Keep writing!
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. They love the poetry in my language.