Sandra Harper Revealed
About Sandra Harper
What is your birthdate?:9/13
Previous occupations:Is there enough space here??? In no particular order: bookseller, prep cook, server, sex educator, photographer's assistant, music executive's assistant, producer's assistant, ad agency assistant, salesgirl, video producer, animator's assistant
Favorite job:Selling cookbooks at The Cook's Library in Los Angeles
High school and/or college:University High School in West Los Angeles and USC
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:My Trinity: Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks, Carly Simon
Favorite movie:Private Benjamin
Favorite television show:Oooh, tough one. Probably "Six Feet Under" - even though it's off the air now
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. What should I make for dinner??
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. She who perseveres wins
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. When my son tells me he loves me and he hasn't asked for anything.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. I'll have to learn a new computer program
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. On my way to a Broadway show in New York City
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Any woman who's come of age at fifty
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Ina Garten - who wouldn't want to be making an apple crostata in that beautiful kitchen in the Hamptons?
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. How do I do this again?
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Leaving New York for a musician
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Mountain biking - so I could ride with my husband
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Living fifty years in Los Angeles
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Never leaving Los Angeles
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I'm pretty thrifty which is a good thing if you're a writer
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. My neighbor Ron's dog. No one has a better life than Tom.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. People see my curly hair before anything else
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Let's see... I love Jo March and Elinor Dashwood for their intelligence, strength and grace. I love "The Provencial Lady" for her timeless portrayal of domestic life and her great sense of humor
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Daisy Buchanan...so often our enemies come in beautiful packages.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Auntie Mame - Can I move in with you?
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Hands down....people talking loudly on their cell phones
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Drinking tea with friends
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Would absolutely love to name lipsticks. How about "Fearless" or "Stardust"?
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. funny, thoughtful, imaginative
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Peanut butter
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Any five from Joni Mitchell
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Edith Wharton, E.M. Delafield, Laurie Colwin, Jane Austen, Alexander McCall Smith, Sarah Waters, Michael Connelly, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Ina Garten, Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins, Deborah Madison, Susan Straight, Charles Dickens
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Sense and Sensibility The Provincial Lady The Secret Garden The House of Mirth The Mists of Avalon
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. My cookbooks. There is nothing more relaxing then lying in bed and read about food and cooking
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Have you thought about medical school??
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. "I really related to your characters"
- Q. How did you come to write Over the Holidays?
- A. I'm a member of a highly secret sorority - The Christmas Conundrum Club. We have admitted our holiday shortcomings and have pledged to support one another with love, lattes and laughter from November 20th to January 1st. Our story needed to be told - so I've boldly confessed to everything.