Reyna Grande Revealed
About Reyna Grande
What is your birthdate?:9/7
Previous occupations:middle school teacher, adult school teacher
Favorite job:program coordinator of a book festival
High school and/or college:Franklin H.S. in Los Angeles and UC, Santa Cruz
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Mana
Favorite movie:Santa Sangre
Favorite television show:I'm torn between Madmen, Battle Star Galactica, and Dexter
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Like a roller coaster ride at Magic Mountain
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Things happen for a reason
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Boring
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Dying and leaving my children to be raised by someone else. Not being there to see them grow up.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Anywhere but the U.S. It's a big world out there and I haven't had a chance to see much of it.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Frida Kahlo
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. J.K. Rowling
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. The words "stare" and "glance". My husband usually deletes them from my manuscript!
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Not acquiring any other skills, besides writing.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. A great imagination
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Becoming the first person in my family to graduate from college.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Not doing enough research before making a decision on something.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I'm passionate about my work.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. J.K. Rowling
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My height
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Howard Roark
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I would love to meet Frida Kahlo. I would thank her for her strength and perseverance, which has inspired not only me but thousands of Latinas.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Plastic shopping bags and Americans' obsession with their lawns
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. gardening and planning literary events
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Film editor
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. being straight-forward, goal-oriented, imaginative
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. mango sprinkled with chili powder
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Mariposa by Mana, Corazoncito Tirano by Lila Downs, Europa by Santana, Tragos Amargos by Ramon Ayala, El Desierto by Lhasa
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Sandra Cisneros, Ayn Rand, Gina B. Nahai, J.K. Rowling, Juan Rulfo, Kahlil Gibran, Kurt Vonnegut, Demetria Martinez, Agatha Christie
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Caspian Rain, by Gina Nahai, Train to Trieste by Domnica Radulescu, The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Mother Tongue by Demetria Martinez, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. All of the above
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Re-write the hell out of your books.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. "Your book made me cry."