Michelle Hodkin Revealed
About Michelle Hodkin
What is your birthdate?:5/31
Previous occupations:Lawyer, adjunct professor, kennel technician in an animal shelter.
Favorite job:The one I've got now.
High school and/or college:I graduated from New York University and then went immediately to law school, which I finished at 23. I spent my 24th birthday studying for the bar exam. I don't recommend it.
Favorite movie:When Harry Met Sally or The Descent.
Favorite television show:Dexter or the dearly departed Lost.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Happy. See? I did it in one.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. "Being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune." ~ Aldous Huxley
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Nutella.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Dolls coming to life. Not okay.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Home.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. My mother.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Just.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. I wish I could dance. Because I really, really can't.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Giving my epileptic, food-allergic, hypothyroid rescue pit bull with two bum knees a wonderful life for the past nine years.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. I'm a relentless perfectionist.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. I'm fiercely loyal.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. A Great White Shark. Why not?
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My best friend says I have bush baby eyes. That's probably pretty noticeable.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Gollum.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Singer/songwriter
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Pasta.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. If I began naming YA authors, this list would never end. So in the adult realm I'll just say:
Stephen King. Richard Preston. Lev Grossman. Daniel Handler. Michael Crichton. Vladimir Nabokov. Lisa See. Justin Cronin. Tom Perrotta. Gary Shteyngart.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. 1) Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
2) Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
3) The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
4) The Shining by Stephen King
5) The Magicians by Lev Grossman
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Anna and the French Kiss. It's impossible not to smile when I'm reading that book.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Finish the book.