Margaret Peterson Haddix: A Self Portrait
Margaret Peterson Haddix Revealed
About Margaret Peterson Haddix
Previous occupations:newspaper reporter, newspaper copy editor, freelance writer, community college instructor, substitute teacher
Favorite job:writing fiction
High school and/or college:College--Miami University (the one in Ohio, not Florida) high school--Miami Trace High School, Washington Court House, Ohio
Favorite movie:I have two: Pleasantville, and Steel Magnolias
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Always so much to think about
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Peace
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Awful things happening to people I love
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. Depending on my mood, either 1. Home or 2. Someplace I've never been before
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Dr. Paul Farmer
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Suddenly, just, even, and then
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. 1. Hurting other people; 2. Making a fool of myself; 3. Doing things that both hurt others and make me look like a fool
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. I hope it's something that I haven't done yet
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Thinking that I'm too busy to do things that are actually more important than the things I am busy with
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Empathy
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. Isn't that kind of the point of fiction? Getting to imagine being lots of other people?
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Reading
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Writing! Lucky me!
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Anne Tyler, Margaret Atwood, Barbara Kingsolver, Mary Doria Russell, Neal Shusterman, Cynthia Voigt, Edward Bloor, E.L. Konigsburg and many more
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. I don't think I could possibly narrow my choices down to 5 favorite books, but if I remember right, these were probably my 5 favorite books when I was 12: She, the Adventuress, by Dorothy Crayder From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg A Little Princess, by Frances Hodgson Burnett Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott