Mac Barnett Revealed
About Mac Barnett
What is your birthdate?:8/23
Previous occupations:janitor, camp counselor, substitute teacher, executive director of an educational nonprofit, manager of a convenience store for time travelers
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. I spend all day looking for my keys
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. "Where are my keys?"
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Walking my little brother's poodle
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Walking my little brother's golden retriever
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Cadbury Mini Eggs. (VERY IMPORTANT: I'm not talking about the larger eggs, sometimes called Cadbury Maxi Eggs, with the gross fake yolk and too-sweet-cream egg white.) Why are these available only at Easter time? I have to stock up every spring with enough tiny chocolate eggs to last me the whole year, and then I end up eating that year's supply in three days. It's insane.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. James Joyce, Jorge Luis Borges, Jon Scieszka, David Foster Wallace, Judith Viorst, Arnold Lobel, Agatha Christie, Raymond Chandler, Tomi Ungerer, James Marshall, Ellen Raskin, Nicholas Mosley, Ernest Hemingway, Flann O'Brien, Roald Dahl, Dr. Seuss, Edward Lear, Mother Goose, Chris Ware, and on and on and on
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. The Stinky Cheese Man, Infinite Jest, The Stupids Step Out, Ulysses, A Moveable Feast
- Q. How did you come to write Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity?
- A. After it became clear I was never going to make it as an actual private detective (I am allergic to fingerprint powder), writing this book seemed like the next best thing.