Jude Deveraux: A Self Portrait
Jude Deveraux Revealed
About Jude Deveraux
What is your birthdate?:9/20
Previous occupations:One of the jobs I had to put myself through college was in a greenhouse and that started my love of plants. After I graduated, I taught elementary school for a few years before I started writing.
High school and/or college:Murray State University in Murray, KY, plus the University of New Mexico
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Verdi. I like Andrew Lloyd Weber a lot.
Favorite movie:The 1939 version of The Women. I know most of the dialogue by heart.
Favorite television show:I love TV and have 30 programs set on my DVR. I like Dexter, Mad Men, The Mentalist, Supernatural, House, all the BBC programs. I watch TV and movies more than I read because when I read, I start editing in my mind and it takes the fun away from the book.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. Starting over
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Be thankful for the small things.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Queen Elizabeth I
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. I have an editor who keeps me from repeating myself. She circles the words that I use more than once on a page. Sometimes it's a real challenge to use different words. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to say the "roar" of the alligators without using that word in every sentence.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. That I've been able to sustain my career.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Right now it's my absolute hatred of aerobics. I will stand in one place and happily lift hundreds of pounds of weight, but put me on a treadmill and I am nearly insane in ten minutes.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. My memory. I can remember, verbatim, conversations from 20 years ago.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. That I'm short.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Mr. Darcy, of course.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. I don't like bad guys.
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I would like to meet Queen Elizabeth I and I wouldn't say a word. I'd just listen and watch.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. People telling me something is for my own good when it's really to their advantage.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. I like to garden and cook. My favorite days are when I start cooking at 6 a.m. while watching old movies on TV.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. I think writing is good. You get to stay home and you can work all day or skip a day. I love looking at a blank sheet of paper and thinking that I can fill it up with anything I want to write.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Honesty, honesty, and honesty.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Berries. If it has "berry" attached to the name of it, I love it.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. I like Grace Slick's White Rabbit, the Carmina Burana, ZZ Top.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. I mostly read research books, but I do like murder mysteries. I read Nancy Atherton, Mary Higgins Clark, and Dorothy Cannell. I like anything about Thomas Jefferson.
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Don't let your ego take over and rule you.
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. That they wish I'd write more historicals --- which I'm doing now.