Denise Jaden Revealed
About Denise Jaden
What is your birthdate?:7/21
Previous occupations:Mushroom farmer, jewelry manager, cook, youth group leader, church secretary, Polynesian dancer
High school and/or college:Abbotsford Senior Secondary and University of Victoria
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:Ever-changing. I like a bit of everything.
Favorite movie:When Harry Met Sally, The Matrix, The Princess Bride
Favorite television show:Who's Line is it Anyway? - when it was on. I rarely watch TV now.
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. cook, teach, gym, write, read, dance, laugh, sleep
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Chocolate will make it better.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Happiness is being published by Simon and Schuster. No. Seriously.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. Jumping out of an airplane.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. In a beach front hut somewhere warm and tropical (as long as it has electricity and Internet.)
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. Joan of Arc, I guess, in that I'm not afraid to do things my own way, regardless of what others think.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. My dad - he's the one who made me believe I can do anything.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. Seriously. No, seriously!
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. Missing out on a movie opportunity with my dance troupe.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Jedi mind tricks.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Raising my son.
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. Self-critical
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Discernment
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. I love being me.
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My curly hair or my smile.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. The Joker (RIP, Heath Ledger)
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. I'd love to meet Jesus face to face. Of course I have a million questions, but I'd also love to apologize for the bad rap he's gotten on Earth.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Clutter
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Polynesian dancing
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Traveling around the world, while writing and dancing.
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Loyalty, creativity, passion.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. This is ridiculously unfair. I've changed my answer 10 times, because every time I decide on something, just thinking about eating THAT MUCH of it makes me sick of it already. Hey, this is not a bad diet trick!
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. This is tough. I have ever-changing, eclectic taste in music. At the moment, I really like John Mayer and Jars of Clay.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Laurie Halse Anderson, Sarah Dessen, Sarra Manning, Jane Hamilton
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
- A. Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson, The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen, A Map of The World by Jane Hamilton, Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer, Guitar Girl by Sarra Manning
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Who has time to re-read with so many amazing new books coming out each year?
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Write every day, and do it because you love it.
- Q. How did you come to write Losing Faith?
- A. I had been itching to write a "sister story" and the idea came to me about a girl really finding her older sister only after she had died. When I started to come up with and share secrets about the deceased sister with my critique partners, I knew I was onto something by their reactions.
I came up with an outline ahead of time and I wrote the actual first draft of LOSING FAITH in 21 days during NaNoWriMo 2007.