Dean Crawford Revealed
About Dean Crawford
What is your birthdate?:3/9
Previous occupations:Graphic Designer & sign maker.
High school and/or college:Wildernesse School, Sevenoaks, Kent
Name of your favorite composer or music artist?:James Horner ( soundtrack composer "Braveheart" and "Troy" )
Favorite movie:Raiders of the Lost Ark
Favorite television show:Currently "Nikita".
- Q. How would you describe your life in only 8 words?
- A. A slow start followed by exceeding all expectations.
- Q. What is your motto or maxim?
- A. Never quit.
- Q. How would you describe perfect happiness?
- A. Being fulfilled by achieving the goals that we set ourselves, and bringing happiness to others in doing so.
- Q. What’s your greatest fear?
- A. The collapse of civilisation - we're surprisingly vulnerable.
- Q. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you choose to be?
- A. The Cote D'Azure, South of France.
- Q. With whom in history do you most identify?
- A. The late Carl Sagan: I reckon we were on the same wavelength.
- Q. Which living person do you most admire?
- A. Sir David Attenborough.
- Q. What are your most overused words or phrases?
- A. "Alright" and "S4!*!!"
- Q. What do you regret most?
- A. The minor flaw in my eyesight that stopped me from joining the RAF to train as a pilot.
- Q. If you could acquire any talent, what would it be?
- A. Musical: I'd love to be able to compose epic movie soundtracks like John Williams or Hans Zimmer.
- Q. What is your greatest achievement?
- A. Becoming a published author - it took 15 years of persistence!
- Q. What’s your greatest flaw?
- A. According to my other half, I'm over-confident apparently.
- Q. What’s your best quality?
- A. Again, according to my parter it's my "easy going" nature.
- Q. If you could be any person or thing, who or what would it be?
- A. An astronaut!
- Q. What trait is most noticeable about you?
- A. My calm approach - I don't get flustered easily.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional hero?
- A. Indiana Jones - no other screen hero comes close.
- Q. Who is your favorite fictional villain?
- A. Darth Vader - I can't help it, I grew up with "Star Wars".
- Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her?
- A. Giordano Bruno, a Dominican priest who suggested that the universe was filled with stars, planets and life, contrary to "scripture". For this he was burned at the stake in 1600 by the Catholic Church during the "Inquisition". I'd thank him profusely for standing up to religious tyranny and for ultimately leading to our new world where scientific endeavour conquered the ignorance of blind faith.
- Q. What is your biggest pet peeve?
- A. Religion: so much fuss over people who never existed and events that never occurred.
- Q. What is your favorite occupation, when you’re not writing?
- A. Flying, when I can afford it. Want to get my private pilot's license.
- Q. What’s your fantasy profession?
- A. Fighter pilot!
- Q. What 3 personal qualities are most important to you?
- A. Honesty, good humour and common sense.
- Q. If you could eat only one thing for the rest of your days, what would it be?
- A. Chicken. Love it.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite songs?
- A. Duran Duran "Ordinary World", Toploader "Achilles Heel", U2 "Vertigo", Soundtracks to Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Carribean.
On Books and Writing
- Q. Who are your favorite authors?
- A. Michael Crichton, Wilbur Smith, Carl Sagan, Jeffrey Deaver, Lee Child.
- Q. What are your 5 favorite books of all time?
Wilbur Smith: A Falcon Flies
Tim Willocks: Green River Rising
Michael Crichton: Jurassic Park
Michael Crichton: Prey
Carl Sagan: Demon Haunted World
- Q. Is there a book you love to reread?
- A. Tim Willock's Green River Rising: his prose is outstanding.
- Q. Do you have one sentence of advice for new writers?
- A. Stick with it because it's worth it!
- Q. What comment do you hear most often from your readers?
- A. I couldn't put it down!